Artículos en Inglés
An Adventure to the Volcano of Izalco
Translated/Edited into English by: Alissa Llort
The route begins in the Ecological Park Las Brumas, located between the Izalco Volcano, Ilamatepec and Cerro Verde. Here, you will enter an incredible nebulous forest leading into the skirts of the volcano. This site is recognized as one of the best places to go hiking.
Izalco, the “ Lighthouse of the Pacific”, is one of the youngest volcanoes in the continent, since it was formed approximately in 1770. Its cone is covered by abundant vegetation and has inclinations as high as 45 degrees; these inclinations provide a challenging and adventurous experience for the visitors. This trip is ideal for people who enjoy nature’s beauty and the challenges it sets. The first stop is Cerro Verde, where tours depart in their routes organized by the place’s authorities.
The tourist center of Las Brumas- the place of departure- is located on the ninth kilometer of the route to Cerro Verde, when coming from the capital city of San Salvador. By a private vehicle, the roads to can take are: Armenia lane, in CA-8, or the road to Sonsonate, via El Congo lane, in CA-1, or the Panamericana highway. Upon reaching the detour of Cerro Verde is a sign leading to “Casa de Cristal”, the name of the tourist center of Las Brumas. The park’s admission ticket is only one dollar per person!
By bus, the routes available from the western terminals are numbers 201 or 202. Then boarding an additional route, number 248, to the detour of El Congo. On the way to Cerro Verde, a sign leads the way to “Casa de Cristal”. The bus fare costs one dollar per person.
Itinerary of hiking tours:
- 9:45 a.m.: Visit the surroundings of the National Park of Cerro Verde.
- 11:00 a.m.: Hike begins.
- 1:30 p.m.: Approximate time of arrival to the crater.
- 4:30 p.m.: Start descent to Cerro Verde.
Tips to keep in mind:
- Tours are available daily.
- Follow instructions given by local authorities.
- The estimated time taken to hike up to the crater is about two hours.
- The entire trip can be rough, thus not recommended for people with health problems.
- Save energy for the return.
- Carry with you only necessary objects, so that your load is light.
Source: Salvadorian Tours